Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Evo Bastards? What's wrong with sportys?

Funny.

I've seen a lot of posts on some boards that kind of poke people who chop, wrench or ride Evos because they aren't riding some 'classic' engine or bike.  If it is new, it must not be worthy of running because it doesn't require constant maintenance just to get to the grocery store....

I've never owned a new, or even current model Harley, while the model was actually current.  It wasn't until a few years ago I could even afford to buy a new motorcycle.  I bought a Triumph for a lot of personal reasons, not the least of which I have owned Triumphs before, they are a little more unique, and my old man owned and wrenched them back in the day.

Sure 45s are cool.  I spent a bunch of cash trying to get a 45 together and frankly, trying to find every blessed piece and part gets tedious.  If I really wanted one that bad today, I'd just buy one that is running.

But back then, the boys weren't riding and cutting 45s because they were classic or bad ass, in fact, until just a few years ago, you could still pick them up for a pretty good price.  They have only become more 'classic' now that other models are out of reach.

But the boys were wrenching them because they were cheap, parts were plentiful and there was a lot of info out there and experience, based on the military and gov't use.

The simple fact is that popular means available.  Right now, there isn't much out there that is as plentiful and inexpensive as an Evo Sportster - in the sense of used US or European iron.  The Jap stuff is holding its value pretty well these days and isn't much cheaper than used Evos, if it even is.  Of course, the used Jap stuff will probably net you more bang for the buck as far as displacement and horsepower goes.

But the guys who think that you must ride a pan just because that's what the guys in the 60s and 70s rode are missing out on the whole point.  At the time, the pans were the evos, twin cams and shovels of their day - cheaper and more plentiful and a good parts base. 

There is probably nothing 'classic' about the Evo look - although I'm starting to think maybe there is a classic look sitting in there.  But there is something to be said for the idea that you can get a running bike as a donor or rider that is both inexpensive and fairly reliable.  I know there is nothing more sexy than a bike that has to be wrenched on every time you fill up the tank, BUT, I have news for you... there is nothing LESS sexy than a bike that doesn't run.

Once I decided I was going to go over to the Evo side, I started noticing just how common they were amongst builders and chop-ers.  I would even bet, in a related way, many of the current new builds using shovels and some pan heads are actually new mills built as shovel heads and pan heads, as S&S sells these days. 

Panheads are of course, about the most classic design there is.  Sure knuckleheads are cool just because they are rare and take some skill to make run and keep running.  In fact, most knickles have to be restored to get to the hard running bike.  That process of restoration and rejuvenation is a huge part of what makes the knuckle beautiful.  But for sheer styling and retro cool, it's the Panhead.

I would love to buy one and love to ride one.  I'm sure I can afford one these days.  But the cool that I could garner from owning and riding one, would only be a bit more than the generic cool of building/customizing your own ride, regardless of what it is.  So for a lot less money and a lot more riding time, the Evo seems to be the one to beat these days.

When I get my Evo going and have what I want, when I want it, I think then I will probably start to look for something more classic to hobby with.  Not because I won't be cool until I get one, let's face it, my cool days are probably passed... but because I would like one.

But it won't be long before the next generation comes along and they will be looking for that Evo look, well just as soon as we can get a cool movie with the type of influence that Easy Rider had, to showcase the Evo and make us all leaving the theater wanting the bike and forgetting about the other lessons of the movie...

What matters is riding, not what you ride...  unless of course youre at Panstock - and then it matters...










  Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Powered by ScribeFire.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I've been to spain, maine, brisbane and spokane. I've seen goat ropes and cluster fucks. I've heard a man talk over a wire and seen a lady walk on a wing.